Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Things We Can Learn as Kids

I've been reading a lot lately about various nefarious publishing schemes, bogus agents, vanity and subsidy presses, and the like. Thinking to educate myself I suppose, when it occurred to me that almost possibly everything I needed to learn about publishing I learned on The Waltons.

It was in an episode titled The Book,wherein young John-boy gets bilked by a vanity press. It taught a fantastic lesson about "too good to be true" to an eleven year old. So in high school when a friend said her poetry had been "selected" for inclusion in some anthology or another I was quietly congratulatory and inwardly cringing.

And now? Suffice to say I am well aware that there are no short-cuts that don't end in dead-ends, and that writing takes a crap-load of work, intestinal fortitude, and a hide thicker than a rhino's.

And I miss television that was as good as The Waltons.

9 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger jason evans said...

I did one of those anthologies when I was a teenager. Then, I learned my lesson. I wasn't crushed because I had normal submissions going at the same time. Still, I learned about the scams early. And rejection.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

I miss the Waltons also... when we sign off e-mail at night, I'm Johnboy and my friend M. C. is SueEllen!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

I got accepted once to one of those anthologies in high school. I didn't have to pay anything, but still it was fishy when I got a letter saying they were going bankrupt a year later.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Dana. Did they comp you a copy of the anthology or did you have to buy it? If they comped you a copy it was legit. Otherwise.....

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger S. R. Hatcher said...

Post sums it up succinctly. Back to Chapter 3. There's no substitute for writing, revising, pulling you hair out, revising some more.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

"And I miss television that was as good as The Waltons."

Me too.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

I learned about vanity publishers in Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Fortunatley before I began to write myself.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

Writing ain't no business for the sensitive or the wussy.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Lisa, YES! I got a copy... but my mom lost it when we moved for the zillionth time.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home