Sunday, February 12, 2006

Rather Random

Taking a break from the writing for a moment.

Dick Cheney. What more is there to say about Mr. Birdshot that hasn't been said?

Called a younger sister today. She's in Massachusetts. They got whumped today which is no news to all y'all up there. Someone picked up the phone, I thought it was her. I just about fell out of my seat when the person on the other end identified herself as my niece. Not surprised that she was home, but that her voice was so different. She sounded just like her mom, my sister. I then realized that my niece was twelve. I've not seen her since she was nine, the last time I went home for a visit. Years fly.

I've another sister who now lives in Paris (the real Paris for real) and her eldest is...nineteen? I remember holding this niece when she was only two days old. Remember so clearly playing peek-a-boo and making her laugh or rocking her to sleep.

A house full of women. I've another sister also. At one point in my childhood the household was comprised of Mom & Dad, my maternal grandmother, my maternal grandmother's sister, four girl children, two female cats, and a parakeet of indeterminate gender. Among the humans the birth years ranged from 1884 to 1969.

I can't do platelet apheresis for a while. Seems I maxed out my Red Blood Cell allowable loss and can't go again until next week, nevermind that my hemocrit is a consistent 41. But last time I donated I got a very cool cordura nylon briefcase thing for doing 10 donations since November. I shall accompany me to any job interviews I may yet get. If for nothing more than to state that I am a fine corporate citizen. Five more donations and I get a cool jacket. I think they give you a gas card at 20 donations. All very useful stuff indeed.

And in matters perhaps slightly marginally tangentally writerly, it seems that the French have decided that one Can copywrite a perfume. With the advent of GCMS (Gas Chromatograph and Mass Spectrometer) analysis it's no guessing game. So what is the future of designer knockoffs? Something that will surely keep me awake and pondering tonight.

14 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Nice post today, slightly personal but not too much. I feel that I know you a little better and to my pleasure.

Your Dad, your poor Dad. I'll bet he spent a lot of time at the local coffee shop.:)

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Dad was very cool about the whole thing. I was the "girly girl" of all four of us and it was he and not mom who took me to see a ballet for the first time.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

That is one explicit ad there with that article. Whatever happened to having pretty ladies with clothes on, not in the throws of sex in a print advertisement.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

M.G. have you walked by any stores in any shopping mall lately? Abercrombie & Fitch is the worst, pure sleaze for everyone to see.

And to think that back in the day Abercrombie and Fitch was the name of a store where the better sort of gentleman went to get outfitted for trout fishing or a water buffalo hunt. A thousand Boston Brahmins are turning in their graves

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger jason evans said...

As an outdoors person myself, I've been highly offended at the Vice President's attitude toward the accidental shooting. Regardless of the reason, an accidental shooting is a big deal and should have consequences (such as loss of his hunting license for a time).

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Adam Hurtubise said...

I completely agree with Jason. I grew up hunting and an accidental shooting is the height of stupidity.

In this case, both "hunter" and "victim" have plenty of stupidity to go around, but the ultimate responsibility for the stupidity does rest with the one who pulled the trigger.

Adam

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger S. R. Hatcher said...

Yes, the Cheney story.....it's related as if poor Cheney made a mistake, after all, the other guy didn't SIGNAL that he'd walked up behind Cheney. I too feel he should lose his hunting license for some time, but that would involve following rules and laws, and........well I won't go on.

Interesting post--I had NO idea one could give platelets so frequently.

Lastly, Abercrombie and Fitch---my poor husband nearly fainted when my daughter started going in there. He used to be an outdoorsman and spent summers for many years as a canoe guide on the boundary waters. He thought A&F was still an outdoors store and that Allie wanted to get riding outfit there--she dragged him in and he was so shocked he thought it was the wrong store. Oh well, it was funny at the time. Anyway, good post.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

One would think that the hunting license would be revoked, But that's just the sensible approach -which never has been this administration's strong suit. I would also have thought that any shooting, accidental or otherwise had to be reported to the police? I guess it's good to be Vice-President. I checked Smoking Gun and there is no police report posted, which there would be if there was one.

Sharon, platelets can be donated up to 24 times a year but there is only a minimum three day wait between donations - which is very useful if you're matched with a recipient who your platelets are ultra-compatable with. I had a match like that once, got called at work that they needed my platelets THAT DAY for someone and could I please get there as soon as possible.

Kinda neat to walk into your boss's office and ask to take a couple of hours off because there's a life you need to save.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Lisa, you are so cool.

When I was in the ER last week, the doc asked if I wanted a transfusion. I was anemic, not too scary, but low enough to where I could get one if I really wanted one. Made me think of you. =)

If I don't get any better the next couple days, I just might need that transfusion after all.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Dana, if you feel you need it, get it. You're why we give it. They'd probably give you a nice unit of packed red cells. I donate platelets because it's what my body does best.

But there is another special group of folks out there who donate double units of straight packed reds in a process rather like platelet apheresis. If a female wants to do this she has to be at least 5'5" and 150 lbs. For guys it's only 5'1" and 130 lbs.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Just talked to MG, I might need one afterall. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

Er... Dana, aren't real China platelets very delicate.

BHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAA!!!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

Cheney goes Qayle hunting.
Dan escapes, but Whittingtion is bagged.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger KaliTime said...

Wow...can I have your crit, if only for a few days? *bowing before your Apheresis prowess*

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home