Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Odds and Ends

Thanks to James Goodman's post today, I now know what the "lava" in a "lava lamp" consists of. That is what I learned today.

I'm working on Ennui this evening - reworking the second chapter because it was to much a cooking lesson and not enough funny. And the story isn't about food. It's about perfume - a topic that gives me much amusement as I research the subject. I'm learning about the inner workings and business of the whole thing and that's not so easy to find. It's still a fairly closed loop with very few people saying anything about how a perfume goes from idea to bottle. Exception being Chandler Burr who writes about perfume for the NY Times.

In a complete 180 degree turn from the above, I had another job interview today for a biz with three positions open. I am so craving one of the positions. It's with a team building a trade-lane from the ground up, the start of something new. I'm loving the challenge it presents. I felt the adrenaline buzz start in the interview.

It's addictive, the logistics business. Some people start and are gone in a year or two for something a little more quiet. But those who stick around for a few years, they tend to become lifers. I knew at least five people where I interviewed today, from previous positions or because I'd worked with their spouse at another company. And a couple more because I had phone contact with them on a regular basis at some time in my career. It was like "old home week". I left the interviews with a smile and feeling connected.

11 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

Good luck with the interviews, babes. Just noticed the new pic. Is that a picture of your walk-up?

So, less cooking, more perfume? Save the cooking for the companion volume, THE ANNOTATED ENNUI.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Good luck, Lisa. I'm sure you impressed them today!

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yes, good luck indeed. It sounds like a great opportunity especially with having so many people you know already there.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Yep M.G., that's the actual garret.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger jason evans said...

If people stick around, sounds like a great place to work. Good luck!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Good luck Lisa. You still wearing that last hug, or do you need a new one?

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger R.J. Baker said...

Lisa, keep the faith. You'll find something or something will find you. It always does. Luck usually has a small part, but not always.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

It sounds like you're on a roll. I'll say a prayer for you!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

More good luck vibes from here.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

**pant pant**

The virgin got away, but I sicked the dog on 'im.
When I track him down, I'll have the sacrificial ceremony...


**runs off**

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger S. R. Hatcher said...

Hey Lisa--that's great. Hope something comes of it.

*Fingers crossed, rabbit's foot out, and waving a flag. Whatever it takes.**

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home