Tuesday, January 24, 2006

More From The Lexicon

Somewhere below this post I wrote about the words "H*&^n R*#$&%^@s" and "Personnel" and what I both seemed to mean. I think lots about words when I'm at the unemployment office or sending resumes.

Want to talk today about something called "Employee". I employ tools to do a job.
I employ a papertowel to clean the diet coke off my monitor after E. Ann comments about leather at inappropriate times. To employ is to put into use for ones purposes, nefarious or otherwise. One who employs is the Employer. The object one employs is the "employee". So does that make me a tool sitting unused in the great gadget drawer of life? I think not...

Also, unemployed. That means not used for anything. I am simply not remuneratively engaged at this time, thank you. Oh dear, that is horribly close to P.C. speak.

Speaking of which, I went to the unemployment office today to drop off some forms. The one I went to the last time is closed. They directed me to a place called "Empowerment 2010, Inc." to drop off the forms. I need to be empowered? No, Don't think that that is my problem. Sounds like they hold self-esteem classes or something.... euwwwwwww....

6 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger R.J. Baker said...

Lisa, Lisa, employment(or lack thereof) is a state of mind. Why not choose to be self-employed? Or at least self-unemployed. Your talents are self-evident, don't let the system beat you down.

Have you ever watched Band of Brothers? The Steven Speilberg show about an airborn unit in WWII?

At one point in the story line the guys in the unit are surrounded by Germans in Bastonge. The German commander sends a message into the commander of the American troups facing certain death and asks for them to surrender.

The commander's answer? "Nuts".

This is a actually true story.

In Band of Brothers, a soldier says, "but sir we're surrounded" and the commander says, "soldier we're paratroopers, we are suppose to be surrounded."

I say to you, "We're writers, We're suppose to be unemployed."

Make the best of it.

Nuts!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

r.j.

Brilliant quote, thanks!

I just find the odd nooks and crannies of this whole sociological phemomenon interesting. How things are worded, what the meaning of words is, what isn't being said or is being subtly transmitted. It keeps the brain active.

I'm actually doing pretty well but pep talks always help too!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

Okay, here's a pep talk...tomorrow, sign up for every government aid program you can, then get back to ENNUI.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

**Slaps sticker on RJ.**

"Caution. Baker product may contain NUTS"

Everyone is being so darned complimentary to me today.
Stop it!

MY EGO!! AHHHH!
IT"S GONNA BLOW!!!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Lisa,
I have come to think of you as a friend and thinking about you in that manner warms me.

If you will recall, when you first posted that you had been "axed", I suggested you go and read my profile. I say to you again, go read my profile then go out there and do it for LISA! Let others do it for others, you go and do it for you.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

Go for the self-employed...It's way more fun to yell at yourself all day...I do...there's three of us...me, myself, and I.

R.J, your first comment was inspiring!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home