Monday, January 30, 2006

A Day is Never a Loss

If you learn something new. It can be anything about anything. Saturday, on my way out to drop off my rent check, I ran into a guy outside my building who was with the plumbers who were obviously doing plumbing things in the building. It's an old building. It leaks frequently. So I asked the young gentleman what they were doing and he told me they were fixing leaks (obviously).

I mentioned that it has only been in the last year or so that the garret apartments have had good water pressure. And I learned that when plumbers are putting in the water service to a building, the size of the pipe they use to connect to the water main is determined by the distance of the water outlet in the building that is furthest from said water main.

I thought it was interesting and filed it away in the useful facts file of my brain.

Today I had a job interview. I'd like to get the job. I know all about big ships and big trucks and big airplanes but in this position I'd have the opportunity to learn about stack-trains....the ones that carry ocean cargo containers from inland points to ocean ports.

And I honestly do live in a garret. Third floor walkup in a circa 1870 building

13 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Fingers crossed for you, Lisa!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger E. Ann Bardawill said...

I'd sacrifice a virgin, but DAMN!!
In this town it's just not possible to find one.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping at my blog and if you can read this I'll know you are still alive and I will dub you Lazarus...but dying from laughter is the best way to go, isn't it?

I hope you get the job! When I was in the Army Reserves, I was in a transportation batallion...ah the tracking of vehicles, ships, and trains...I know it well.

I love those old houses...sigh. I lived in one in Kansas for several years. It was great. Well, kudos to you, Lazarus. I'm sure that I'll be back soon...I just saw a picture down post of Mrs. Brady and Alice, so I know you are my kinda gal!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger M. G. Tarquini said...

Lisa's terrific. Big brain, big heart. I knew about the pipe size thing, Lisa because I've had several old houses and I learned more about plumbing than I ever would have cared about.

BUT

it came in handy when I started writing MacTavish.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Erik Ivan James said...

Lisa, reach out and grab the hug I just sent your way. Wrap it around you to wear your first day on that new job. And, if you don't get the job, wrap that hug even tighter around you.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger jason evans said...

Doesn't that have something to do with Bernouli's principle?

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger jason evans said...

Ooops. Make that Bernoulli.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Dana - keep em crossed, I have another job interview at another steamship line tomorrow!

Liz - Impossible to find one in this town too.

M.C. - Ever been to Ft Eustis? That's the transport battalions in my neck of the woods. Mind if I add you to my links list?

M.G. - awwwww

Erik - double awwwww and a hug back atcha.

Jason - yep, thatis about aircraft lift. Did you know that you can safely load more in weight on a freighter aircraft in the winter than in the summer?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

I'll pray that you get a job...cool living in a garret. Does it help give you an atmosphere for writing?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Lisa S. said...

Bonnie,

No, but it's the cheapest safe digs in P-town. And nobody selling magazine subscriptions ever comes to my door because the three flights of stairs are steeeeep!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Gabriele C. said...

Good luck on the job, Lisa.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous 20 facts about europe said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my 20 facts about europe site.
Have a great week!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous 20 facts about europe said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my 20 facts about europe site.
Have a great week!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home